Picture Book Critiques
Objective feedback is crucial to the success of any picture book. While I can’t promise that the picture book critiques I provide will ensure your picture book's publication, I will be able use my more than 15 years of professional children’s writing experience to give you valuable insights and advice on how to improve your picture book and get it closer to being publishable.
What to Expect
While every critique differs, in a
typical picture book critique I provide the following:
- High level feedback of the story’s strengths and weaknesses.
- General and line-specific guidance on problems in the story in areas such as plot development, character development, character POV, sentence structure, word choice, pacing, showing vs. telling, illustration considerations, and voice.
- Appropriateness or interest-level for the story’s intended audience.
What to Consider
A few things to consider before contacting me to provide a picture book critique:
- If you want someone to tell you how great your story is, my picture book critiques are not for you. While I aim to be as constructive as possible, my feedback will be honest and sometimes painful. I will tell you where I feel there are problems and how I feel you your story can be improved.
- Be sure to review and implement into your own writing the advice and tips I provide in my articles on writing great picture books.
- My fee is $60 per critique and I require payment in advance.
If you have further questions or want to make arrangements for me to critique you picture book, contact me by email at ken [at] kenbakerbooks [dot] com.